Maria’s Farm Country Kitchen (a blog I read every time I get an update, on of the few) had guest blogger Harriet Shugarman write about fracking and the farmer’s markets. I found it most interesting that the food from these areas could be bought by you in your local supermarket any day, and think the title is not the best part of the article: How Fracking Affects Your Farmer’s Market.
In 2011 the EPA finally admitted that fracking MIGHT cause groundwater pollution. This article out of USA Today speaks to that arising from Cheyenne, WY. Other articles, and the first one is quite graphic:
- Fracking Our Food Supply from the Nation
- A Fracking First in Pennsylvania: Cattle Quarantine
- Wonderfully graphic site that explains the process: http://www.dangersoffracking.com/
- From the Food and Water Watch, information on long-reachign effects.
- From the NRDC: It endangers human health and the environment.
- Fracking Spill in Doddridge County (2009 in West Virginia) is interesting partly because of the comments section. . .
- And from MotherJones, a most interesting article involving children and a gag order!
Yes, I didn’t include the sites funded by the frackers themselves, nor the governmental agencies that want to allow the fracking because it is lucrative to the state. If you would like to read those, they are also plentiful. I am used to reading science, and know when I am being snowed.
I write about this all the time, to our congress and representatives. You should to. This is going to effect you even if it is not in your backyard. I want people to pay attention to this and GMO’s — these are global issues that will ruin our planet in ways we are so naive about — as in, “it’s not in my backyard.” Water runs everywhere, and these are huge operations that require higher levels of chemicals. In fracking the companies do not even have to make public the chemical cocktail they use in their process. Please, read the articles and sign the petition. Go to a march. Bother your neighbors and friends: have them over to watch GASLAND (an award-winning movie) on Netflix!
For our Children and our Children’s Children, Kate